Gum disease is the inflammation of the gums. It can progress to the point that it affects the bone, which supports your teeth. However, if treated early enough with the periodontal treatment Parker CO offers, reversing gum disease is possible. It’s also possible through gum disease treatment. Only your professional dentist can help you properly care for your oral health.
Reversing Gum Diseases: Stages
Gum disease tends to progress through two stages:
The first stage of gum disease is gingivitis. It is reversible if caught before it affects the bone supporting the teeth. The signs of gingivitis include:
- Red, swollen gums
- Bleeding when you brush or floss your teeth
- Bad smelling breath
- Heavy tartar build-up
- Sensitive teeth
Periodontitis is a serious gum infection that can damage the soft tissue surrounding the teeth and the bones underneath. It can cause teeth to loosen and lead to tooth loss. The symptoms of periodontitis include:
- Swollen, puffy gums, and bright, dusky, or purplish gums
- Gums that are tender to the touch
- Gums that have receded from the teeth, making them appear longer
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Bad breath, loose teeth, and pain upon chewing
- Changes in the way that your teeth fit together when you buy
When is Gum Disease Reversal Possible?
Is reversing gum disease possible? The answer is yes! Gum disease reversal can occur at virtually any stage through different dental services in Parker CO. However, as the disease progresses, the intervention becomes more invasive. Gingivitis comes from the build-up of plaque and tartar on the teeth. Plaque is an invisible film that forms when sugar and starch on your teeth interact with the bacteria in your mouth. Removing plaque occurs by brushing and flossing. If not treated, plaque will convert to tartar. Tartar can only be removed by professional dental cleaning in Parker CO. Gingivitis causes the gums to become inflamed. This can be treated by a professional cleaning at the dentist’s office and methodical brushing and flossing. Periodontitis is when gum disease has progressed to the point that the gums have receded.
Reversing gum disease is possible, but it requires a more rigorous intervention. These can include the following restorative dentistry measures:
- Scaling and Root Planing (SRP) – This is a non-surgical treatment. The dentist or hygienist will scrape away the plaque and tartar from the teeth and roots and smooth the surface down to prevent bacteria from clinging to the teeth again
- Pocket Reduction Procedure – After SRP, if the gum is not reattaching properly, the dentist may peel back the gums and remove bacteria and smooth down damaged bone to permit the gum to reattach to healthy teeth
- Gum Grafts – Gum grafts are used to cover the roots of one or more teeth
- Regenerative Procedure – If bone loss has occurred, the dentist uses natural or synthetic bone in its place and growth-stimulating proteins
Signature Smiles Dentistry
Reversing gum disease is possible, especially if caught early. Regular visits to your dentist are crucial. Signature Smiles Dentistry offers excellent periodontal treatment in Parker Colorado. We have the knowledge and surgical expertise to help you keep your healthy smile for a lifetime and achieve gum disease reversal. Contact Signature Smiles Dentistry today at 720.513.8405.