What Is Bone Grafting?
Bone grafting replaces missing or damaged bone with transplanted bone tissue during a surgical procedure. It can be used to repair bone fractures, diseases, or defects. It can also help grow bone around an implanted device. The bone graft material can come from a donor or your own body.
Dental bone grafting, or jaw bone grafting, is bone grafting for dental implants. It involves adding bone material to a patient’s jaw to create a sufficient amount of healthy bone. Without enough healthy bone, dental implants may fail to integrate correctly with the jawbone or cause complications like infection, inflammation, and pain. At Signature Smiles Dentistry, we perform bone grafting for dental implants to create the necessary support for implants. This is only necessary when the required bone density is not already present.
Why You May Need Bone Grafting
Bone grafting can help restore the natural function and appearance of the jawbone. There are several reasons why a patient might need dental bone grafting, including:
- To create enough bone volume and density to support dental implants
- To restore the natural shape and appearance of the jawbone and gums after a tooth loss or injury
- To prevent bone loss after tooth extraction
- To treat gum disease or infections that damage the jawbone
- To correct congenital disorders or trauma that affect the jawbone
Reasons for Bone Grafts
Bone grafting may be necessary for patients seeking implants. There are alternatives to implants, such as bridges and dentures. However, these may require more upkeep and be less durable and comfortable than implants. Dental bone grafting can help ensure that your implants are solid and long-lasting.
Types of Bone Grafting Procedures
Signature Smiles Dentistry offers several bone grafting procedures to address different issues:
- Major Bone Grafting – Major bone dental grafting requires more significant amounts of bone to rebuild your jaw. We take bone from a part of your body, usually the hip, and use it in the implant area.
- Minor Bone Grafting – In a minor bone graft, we take a small amount of bone from a part of your jaw and use it in the area where you have a dental implant. The bone is usually taken from the back of your jaw or chin.
- Ridge Expansion – This is performed to widen or heighten the jawbone to support dental implants. With this procedure, the bony ridge—the jaw bone supporting teeth and implants—is split and filled with bone graft material, creating a foundation for dental implants.
Benefits of Bone Grafting
Bone grafting is an effective way to restore the structure and stability of the jawbone and create a strong foundation for dental implants. Benefits of bone grafting include:
- Support Dental Implants – Dental implants are the best option for replacing missing teeth because they look, feel, and function like natural teeth. However, they require sufficient bone density to hold them securely in place. Bone grafting can create a strong base for dental implants and increase the patient’s eligibility for this restorative treatment.
- Improve Facial Aesthetics – Losing bone in the jaw can lead to a sunken or aged facial appearance. Bone grafting can help to preserve natural facial structure by restoring the volume and contour of the jaw.
- Preventative Benefits – Bone loss tends to be a self-perpetuating problem, and can lead to further bone loss. Dental bone grafting prevents future bone loss, preventing the need for additional dental and orthodontic procedures.
- Enhanced Dental Function – By providing additional support, bone grafting can improve the functionality and longevity of other dental appliances like crowns, implants, dentures, and bridges.
Signature Smiles Dentistry offers a wide range of dental services to meet your oral health needs. Our team of professionals is dedicated to delivering high-quality care using the latest technology and techniques. Our primary goal is to help you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile that lasts a lifetime.
One of our specialties is dental implants. Dental implants offer several benefits, including improved oral health, enhanced appearance, and increased self-confidence. We also offer various restorative services, including cavity filling, dental crowns, dental bridges, veneers or Lumineers, composite bonding, scaling and root planning, and root canals. We also offer cosmetic dentistry and periodontal treatment to heal your gums and prevent further damage.
Contact Us for Dental Bone Grafting in Parker, CO
Our staff is friendly and professional, and we want to make your dental experience as comfortable as possible. We understand that going to the dentist can be stressful for some patients, so we take the time to listen to your concerns and answer questions. We also offer sedation dentistry to help you relax during your procedure.
Don’t let missing teeth hold you back from living your best life! Dental bone grafting is safe, easy, and effective. Contact us or book an appointment online and let us help you achieve your signature smile and the confidence that comes with it!