Occlusal Adjustment in Parker, CO
What Is an Occlusal Adjustment?
Occlusal adjustment is a dental procedure to fix issues that keep teeth from coming together properly. Teeth misalignment may cause head, neck, and tooth pain. During your appointment at Signature Smiles Dentistry, we will examine your teeth, gums, and jaw to identify potential problems that may cause your symptoms. Once we have made a diagnosis, we can develop a treatment plan.
The occlusal adjustment procedure involves changing the biting surfaces of teeth to improve their contact patterns. During your occlusal bite adjustment at Signature Smiles Dentistry, we use various dental instruments, including burs and abrasive strips, to remove small amounts of tooth enamel from the biting surfaces of teeth. This process creates a more even contact pattern. By improving the contact pattern of the teeth, the jaw can close in its anatomically correct position, allowing the jaw and neck muscles to relax and reducing the risk of teeth grinding.
Who Needs Occlusal Adjustment?
Occlusal adjustment, or bite adjustment, may be needed if you have dental issues that affect the alignment of your jaw or how your teeth come together. You may have some of the following symptoms:
- Jaw Alignment Issues – People with malocclusion or improper bite due to jaw alignment may benefit from occlusal adjustment. These issues, if left unresolved, can cause pain, difficulty chewing, facial asymmetry, and other dental problems.
- Large Teeth – Large teeth can affect the biting and chewing forces in the mouth, which may require an occlusal adjustment.
- Orthodontic Treatment Needs – People undergoing orthodontic treatment, such as braces or aligners, may require an occlusal adjustment to improve the alignment of their teeth.
- Signs of Occlusal Wear – Cracks, chips, or sensitivity may demonstrate the need for a bite adjustment.
- Jaw Pain – People who experience jaw pain from grinding or clenching their teeth may also require an occlusal adjustment.
How Can I Know if My Bite Is “Off”?
A misaligned bite can cause a variety of symptoms. Here are some signs to look out for:
- Clicks or Pops – Clicks or pops in the jaw might indicate that your bite is misaligned, affecting the smooth movement of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ).
- Jaw Pain or Discomfort – Pain or discomfort when you move your jaw may be a sign that your bite is off and could be caused by a misalignment of the jaw or teeth. This puts extra stress on the muscles and joints of the jaw.
- Crooked or Crowded Teeth – If your teeth are crooked or crowded, they may not fit together correctly when you bite down. This can cause your jaw to shift to either side, putting pressure on certain teeth and causing discomfort.
- Tongue Bites – If your bite is off, you may bite your tongue or cheek when eating or speaking.
- Headaches – Misaligned teeth or jaws can cause muscle tension, leading to headaches.
- Worn Enamel or Grinding Teeth – If your bite is off, you may grind or clench your teeth while you sleep, which can wear down your enamel and cause damage to your teeth.
- Tight Retainers – If you have had braces, you may notice that your retainers feel tight, which could signify that your bite has shifted since your braces were removed.
If you experience any of these symptoms, it’s essential to schedule an appointment with Signature Smiles Dentistry for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. A bite adjustment or occlusal adjustment may be the solution.
How Is My Bite Fixed?
Before the procedure begins, we will check your bite using occlusal paper, impressions, or computerized analysis to identify any areas that need adjustment. This process may take several visits until your bite is optimal. We will remove just enough of the enamel or filling to eliminate the interference.
Our general dentistry services include oral surgery, preventive care, and teeth whitening. If you need an extraction, biopsy, or implant placement, Signature Smiles Dentistry provides oral surgery procedures. We offer regular check-ups, cleanings, and fluoride treatments. If you want to brighten your smile, we have teeth whitening treatments that can help.
Our other specialized dentistry services include dental implants, restorative dentistry, and cosmetic dentistry. We’re proud of our work here, and our patients love it too!
Contact Us for Occlusal Adjustment in Parker, CO
We’re here to help you achieve the smile you deserve! At Signature Smiles Dentistry, our experienced team provides you with the best care. With our commitment to patient comfort and satisfaction, we guarantee you’ll leave our office with a smile! Contact us today or schedule an appointment online. Let us help you achieve your signature smile and the confidence it brings. We can’t wait to see you and help you start your journey to a healthier, happier smile.