Your gums, or the pink tissue that surrounds your teeth, are an easily overlooked part of your overall oral health. The gums can be susceptible to inflammation due to the buildup of bacteria, which can lead to gingivitis. Eventually, it’s possible for the gums to recede away from your teeth.
Learning more about the causes of receding gums can help you prevent this oral health issue. And if you’re experiencing receding gums in CO, reach out to Signature Smiles Dentistry for treatment.
What Are the Causes of Receding Gums?
Some individuals are more at risk than others to develop an issue with receding gums and will need dental services. For instance, those with diabetes are at higher risk of gum health problems. Having thin gums and teeth that are positioned in certain ways can also cause receding gums. These are largely genetic factors and cannot be avoided. However, if you know that you are at risk of developing receding gums, you can stay on top of the issue and use preventive measures to keep your mouth healthy.
Some other causes of receding gums include the following:
- Aging – The majority of individuals over the age of 65 have receding gums due to wear and tear
- Brushing too hard – Vigorous brushing can irritate the gums
- Using a toothbrush with hard bristles – This can make your gums wear down more quickly
- Poor oral health – Not properly brushing, flossing, and visiting the dentist can cause plaque to build up
- Smoking – This can weaken your immune system and make it more difficult for your body to fight off infection
- Damage from dental treatment – The more wear and tear on your gums, the more difficult it is for them to stay healthy
You don’t have to live with receding gums. There are both preventative measures you can take and treatments your dentist can administer if you are concerned about your gum health. Reach out to your dentist to learn more about how to prevent and treat receding gums. Make good oral health habits a priority because taking care of your oral health is just one part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Treating the Causes of Receding Gums
Unfortunately, once your gums have started to recede, they do not grow back. If you’re concerned about gum health in CO, reach out to your dentist. They can help determine if your gums have started to recede and provide recommendations on how to proceed. Treating this issue early on will help you maintain the best oral health possible.
However, there are a few steps you can take to prevent receding gums.
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush and brushing gently can keep you from irritating your gums
- Brush twice daily or after each meal in order to prevent plaque buildup
- Visit your dentist regularly for dental cleanings in order to remove hard-to-reach plaque and monitor for receding gums
Your dentist can also recommend products and treatments to promote good gum health. If your gums have started to recede, they can intervene with treatments like desensitizing agents, removable gum veneers, and surgery.
Contact Signature Smiles for Receding Gums in CO
Gum health is an important part of keeping your smile in good shape. Additionally, your oral health contributes to your overall well-being, which means that keeping up with brushing, flossing, and dental cleanings can help you stay healthy. Whether you are concerned about the causes of receding gums or you need to schedule a cleaning, Signature Smiles can help. We offer the following services to promote good oral health:
Contact the Signature Smiles team today at 720.513.2157 to protect your gum health in CO.